But that's another story for another day.
( Bear in mind the day might not come. haha , so morbid).
(Credits to Amazon.com)
I have always been a fan of self improvement books. Sure, there are many gimmicky ones ( trust me, I've read a couple of them) out there but we all know those who looking for a quick fix should look elsewhere (drugs maybe?)
I like reading books of this genre because they usually make me think and reflect. Unlike what many people would like to think, self improvement books do not ' brain wash' you but instead provide a alternate perspective which may prove helpful. As much as there are merits in reading such self help book, I think we should always remain discerning while maintaining an open mind.
Most of us have probably heard of 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' and might even flipped through the book itself before. I have and I'm not a big fan. Now you may think, why on earth am I reading his book if I'm not a big fan?
Reason 1: The book attracted my attention- title, synopsis, layout. This guy ,apart from everything else, has great marketing skills.
Reason 2: The author is rich and he is talking about his journey to wealth AND happiness. Like it or not, being rich is always going to be one of my motivators.
That said, I've taken away a couple of lessons from his previous books (For instance, 'give what you would like to be given.').
Now back to the book, I must say stories from 'Rich Sister' were harder to relate to as she spoke more about her spiritual journey to becoming a monk. It does not really help that her writing style is kind of blah. In fact , the book was kind of blah blah blah (which was why it was banished to the bottom of my bag!) till I came to this:
"Some people go shopping to relieve their pain.Money is their drug. The more money they have, the more they shop.." - ha! Was he talking about me? I don't have pain per se but i sure shop like I do. Plenty of food for thought.
Also, the book questions religion - the same questions I have asked when I was taking the RCIA classes. Even till now, I never really could understand why seemingly 'religious' people turns out to be not very nice people after all.
Ok my short attention span does not allow me to continue much more - This is not a fantastic book but it may have something that makes you change perpective for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment