Saturday, June 18, 2011

一山还比一山高 ( yi shan hai bi yi shan gao)

For the benefit of my faithful reader who cannot read chinese characters ( read: my boyfriend the omnipresent, pivotal presence in my blog. ha,ha), the title loosely means that there will always be one ( person/thing but mostly person, i think) better than the other.

Following my blog post on Thursday ( yes, the one drowning with incoherence and self flattery), I readily admit that I feel like and probably am a fraud in my first Business Translation class last night. For whatever credit I gave myself for my bilingual abilities for the bigger part of my life, I was acutely aware of my (lack of) competence (in both languages) in class. This is made especially obvious during class participation, for I was not inclined and unable to participate.

Who would have thought recyling in English can sound so 'chim' and lyrical in Chinese? - 物尽其用

And that it is not very polite to say '你明白吗?' to a Chinese counterpart, when you wish to clarify whether he understood whatever which have been said? ( It would be much more professional and polite to say, '关与我刚对A所做的解释,不晓得您还清楚吗?')

I'm not good at reading extremely long and fancy sentences in both Chinese and English ( even though I'm pretty at writing them. Strange!), mainly because it tangles up my brains and burns too much of my brain cells. Guess what, it is the exact kind of sentences which we are suppose to understand and translate in class.
( And of courses, the nuances and cultural intricacies involved in the languages.)

For lack of a better word, this course means business ( no pun intended).

I will hopefully be able to share more about I have learnt and about to learn in the near future on this blog, a platform which I can recap the interesting, the important and my learning curve.

No comments: