Rich and I had a debate recently. I asked him whether if he thought that I am conformist or otherwise. A conformist, he said almost immediately. The answer didn't come as a suprise, especially the fore mentioned question was asked after I requested him to not go against the traffic in the car park.
However, being the anal all knowing bitch I sometimes am, this answer is evidently not a good one.
How can I NOT be non-conformist? , I insisted in my usual challenging yet cajoling manner.
The thing about me is that I am sucker for rules. I don't like rules per se but I'm what you called a stick in the mud ( whatever that means.) - rules and instructions are meant to be followed. I won't go right when the sigh board asks to go right. I stand at one side of the escalator and I usually follow instruction manual to a tee. That's how I am, I guess I just need a little structure to function in my life.
But. I. am. not. a. conformist. Some example to explain my case :
1. I chose to be enrolled in Catholic Junior College . I chose to enter CJC, in all my naivety and enthusiasm to look for an all rounded education and not because my grades were lacklustre. I scored 11 points for prelims and finally 13 points for O levels.
Not fantastic grades but I suppose I could have gone to a better school in terms of academic performances and moral reputation. ( Contrary to what most people think, not all CJC students have terrible grades. In fact, I know many 9 pointers in my cohort. As for the rumour about the school having the highest abortion rate, you should know better than to believe. I never stand to withness any hanky panky actions myself. For that matteer, I was a geek anyway.)
Foolish, perhaps but it was my choice nonetheless.
2. I chose to major in Life Sciences when I have absolutely no biology background. I made this choice, mostly because of interest and not how much the $$$ my degree might bring me in the working world.
3. Again, I chose to take a Graduate diploma in Finance after graduating from NUS when most of my peers rushed into their first jobs. ( I am admittedly very blessed in this instance) It was, yet again, because of interest and not because everybody else around me was doing it ( In actual fact, my decision encouraged a friend to follow suit.)
4. I chose to resign without a job just so recently ( I may just dedicate a post to this, for those who are curious. )
5. I am going to organise a party for less privileged kids in the next two months. Please do not copy my idea because I will hate you for that. This is extremely important to me. If you are interested in joining me, please leave a comment.
See, I am not so conformist what hor. I follow rules but my creativity sets in situations where there is no rule cast in stone. I make my own rules sometimes because I am an extremely obstinate, self contained and overwhelming ball of energy. More accurately, you will realise that I only follow rules that suit me, like everyone else. hur hur.
So, if you know me or think that you do, am I a conformist or am I not? Say the truth, I'll be kind. hur hur hur.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment